fbpx

PolyMaker Poly Plus PLA isn't working

BCN3D Technologies Forums Hardware BCN3D Sigma PolyMaker Poly Plus PLA isn't working

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Wim 3 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

notcranium
    Participant

I am having an issue with getting this filament to extrude correctly. It will load but will skip and grind on the filament trying to extrude it. The printer is brand new with only about 5 prints through it. The filament that came with the printer works great.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks!

stefaan
    Participant

I have printed with this filament without any problems.
    Looks like your temperature is to low or the speed is to high.

I use 220° and 40 mm/s.

notcranium
    Participant

I had a suggestion to set 25mm/s retract speed and 3.5mm retraction distance. Along with verifying my bed temperature was 220°C, it printed! 🙂

Thanks for the help.

Now I’m trying to get the other parameters dialed in. I measured the filament to be 2.95mm but with this, I’m having to set the Extrusion Multiplier in Simplify3D to be 1.08 in order to get good extraction.

Wim
    Participant

notcranium : “… my bed temperature was 220 °C.” ?
    Did you print a pool of PLA ? :-p

Of course you meant the extruder temperature.

Polyplus (and Polymax) PLA from Polymaker is PLA that’s built to prevent the nozzle from blocking.
    Therefore it has a very “narrow” melting temperature region which has two advantages :

– The PLA hardens fast when cooling (resulting in smoother prints)
    – The PLA doesn’t melt above the extruder as a side effect of this (so the filament cannot block above the extruder).

The (only) downside of this “narrow” melting temperature region :
    – The temperature of such filament has to be set very precisely and high enough (so the filament doesn’t block at the end of the extruder).

If the temperature is not high enough, the liquid filament will be too thick to be extruded fast enough (which was the reason of your problem).

I’m glad you found out. Next days I will be testing with PolyMax PLA, I’ll post my results here too then.

notcranium
    Participant

Polymaker has confirmed that their 2.85mm filament is actually 2.92-2.98 which conincides with my measurements. They said they made a change earlier this year to get it down to 2.85mm.

They have offered to replace the 11 rolls of filament for me. So kudos to them for working with me, BCN3D, and Designbox3D to identify the issue taking responsibility and doing what it takes to keep the customer happy! 🙂

Wim
    Participant

The diameter 3.00 is no problem (the feeders take it) as long as you adjust your extrusion multiplier.
    I’m using Polymax now for some days (also diameter 2.95 !), and had no problem in using it…

My multiplier is a beautiful 1.000 for all 2.85 filament on the Sigma
    At first it was an ugly 1.05 but I ‘cheated’ and specified around 2.9 mm as the standard diameter in the S3D profile (I never change this number from now on!)
    The benefit : I can easily adjust the multiplier :

– if the filament is bigger than 2.85, the multiplier should be smaller than 1.0
    – if the filament is smaller than 2.85, the multiplier should be bigger than 1.0

For Polymax (2.95 diameter) – in my case – I needed the multiplier to be 2.85²/2.95² = 0.93 … and my prints came out just fine

What I’m actually trying to say : You can not assume all filaments to be exactly 2.85 (always measure and adjust the multiplier, even for filaments of the same brand, type and colour).

notcranium
    Participant

Hi Wim. Thank you for the feedback on your experience.

I found some of the Polymaker filaments are smoother than others. It is the filaments that have a bit more roughness that gave me the most issues. I would get inconsistent prints due to gear slipping. In Simplify3D I tried adjusting the filament size, extrusion multiplier, print speed, and temperatures but nothing would make it consistent.

It was to the point where I would have a section of great looking layers followed by a section of terrible layers followed by a section of great layers again. It seemed to have to do with the number of retractions in a layer and the size of the layer that affected it.

BCN3D was sent some rolls of the filament and they also experienced printing issues. Same with Designbox3D (where I bought my Sigma and Polymaker filament). So after they had issues, my feelings that it was something I was doing wrong changed and I knew that it was not me but the filament.

But besides all of the above, Polymaker advertises 2.85 +/- 0.05mm (typical +/- 0.02mm) as the tolerance for their larger filament. I think that anything outside of their published specifications should be considered bad filament. 🙂
    http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polyplus-true-colour/

Wim
    Participant

Hi Notcranium, (sorry for my late reply)

I read somewhere the bowden of the Sigma are only 3.2 mm in diameter (which is great for flex material and also leaves less space of extrusion amounts to change when the heads are moving caused by bending the bowden)
    Of course if the filament is already 3 mm, it doesn’t take much to jam it in the bowden (a little bit grinding can be enough).
    Other (especially chinese) printers are equipped with 4 mm bowden (resulting in less stuck filament, but also resulting in a less equal extrusion).

I had also problems using Polymax last days. I’ll look for a replacement too.
    Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

(00) +34 934 137 088 Contact Us Request a sample